Monday 5 October 2015

Rodan & Fields PROACTIV+ Review

Proactiv+ ... the good, the bad, AND the ugly.
Everything you want to know about Proactiv+ is going to be right here.  Unedited, 100% transparency, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Before I start, I want to preface by saying, Proactiv+ was not my idea, it was my mothers'.  The reason my mom suggested using Proactiv was because my older brother had used it in high school and it cleared up his skin right away. 
I also want to say that I am very aware of the damage that Benzol Peroxide has on the skin.  It is seen as a "quick fix" ingredient but causes a bunch of damage in the long run etc. etc. etc.  However, the actual Proactiv brand has been around for such a long time and with so many new products being created, they must be doing something right, right? 

I decided to buy the Proactiv+ 3-Step Set: the core Proactiv+ 3-Step Set features more medicine; a smarter way to target acne blemishes; plus an extraordinary range of added skincare benefits. (Taken from the Proactiv website).  This set includes 3 steps (obviously) which are the Skin Smoothing Exfoliator, the Pore Targeting Solution, and the Complexion Perfecting Hydrator.  The price of the system is $29.95 CAD and can be bought online or in kiosks that sell the brand.  There is also an option for a 30-day supply size or a 90-day supply size.  I bought the 30-day supply because I was simply testing out the products.  You also get to choose a free gift with your purchase and the gift I chose was the Skin Purifying Mask.

Step 1: Skin Smoothing Exfoliator
Directions
Prior to use, wash hands with non-medicated soap.  Apply twice daily or as directed by a doctor.  For best results, use twice daily, morning and night.  Treat the whole face.  Apply a small amount to dampened skin and gently massage with fingertips for 1 to 2 minutes.  Rinse thoroughly with warm water.  Follow with Step 2, Pore Targeting Solution and Step 3, Complexion Perfecting Hydrator.  If going outside, use broad spectrum SPF 15 or higher.  Fair-skinned individuals should begin with one application. For more severe cases, and/or if substantial improvement is not apparent within 3-4 weeks, consult a doctor.  

Claims
Mild cleanser thoroughly washes away pore-clogging impurities. Benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) kills the bacteria that cause acne. Gentle exfoliating beads plus glycolic acid renew skin’s surface, leave it feeling soft and supple. Handy flip-cap tube is ideal for sink or shower.

Ingredients
Active: Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5%. Inactive: Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Polyethylene, Lauryl/Myristyl Benzoate, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Glycolic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance.

Step 2: Pore Targeting Solution 
Directions
Prior to use, wash hands with non-medicated soap.  Apply twice daily or as directed by a doctor.  Cleanse skin thoroughly with Step 1, Skin Smoothing Exfoliator before applying the product.  Use 1-2 pumps and apply to entire face.  Do not rinse off.  When fully absorbed, follow with Step 3, Complexion Perfecting Hydrator.  Fair-skinned individuals should begin with one application. For more severe cases, and/or if substantial improvement is not apparent within 3-4 weeks, consult a doctor.  

Claims
This new, smarter way to fight acne features our exclusive encapsulated benzoyl peroxide with patented Smart Target™ technology designed to protect the skin’s surface as it delivers the medicine precisely into pores to kill acne-causing bacteria.

Ingredients
Active: Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5%. Inactive Ingredients: Water, Ethoxydiglycol, Glycerin, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Polysorbate 80, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Stearate, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance.

Step 3: Complexion Perfecting Hydrator
Directions
Apply to freshly cleansed skin morning and night.  Apply after Step 2, Pore Targeting Solution.  Using fingertips, apply generously to entire face.  Do not rinse off.

Claims
This luxurious, nutrient-rich finishing touch is designed to leave your skin smooth, supple, even-toned, bright and radiant. It delivers solutions to the most common problems of an acne-prone complexion. Salicylic acid (0.5%) acne medicine helps keep pores clear and looking smaller.

Ingredients
Active: Salicylic Acid 0.5%. Inactive: Water, Butylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Sodium Polyacrylate, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Sophora Angustifolia (Licorice) Root Extract, Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi Leaf Extract, Kojic Acid, Zinc Gluconate, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Sodium Hyaluronate, Bisobolol, Allantoin, Squalane, Safflower Oil/Palm Oil Aminopropanediol Esters, C 12-15 Alkyl Lactate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycerin, Ethyhexyl Palmitate, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin, PPG-5-Laureth-5, Polyquaternium-11, Ceteareth-20, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysorbate 60, Hexylene Glycol, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance.

Additional Product: Skin Purifying Mask 
Directions
Cleanse skin thoroughly before applying product.  Apply product to affected areas for ten minutes one to three times weekly or as directed by a doctor.  Rinse off with warm water.

Claims
This medicated clay mask is like a Step-4 boost to the Proactiv+ 3-Step System. It contains maximum-strength (6%) sulfur acne medicine to clear pores, heal blemishes and help prevent breakouts. A 10-minute facial reduces excess oil, deep-cleans pores and calms irritation. Great for spot-treating pimples, too.

Ingredients
Active: Sulfur 6%. Inactive Ingredients: Water, Kaolin, Glycereth-26, Linoleic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate Synthetic Wax, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Ceteareth-20, Linolenic Acid, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Hydrated Silica, Ethoxydiglycol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Titanium Dioxide.
 Now, onto the nitty gritty and the question that I'm sure you all want to know.  Does the damn thing work, yes or no?!  
I present to you... "Proactiv+ ... the good, the bad, AND the ugly."
The good:
  • There are only 3 steps to worry about for both day and night.  No crazy 7 step routine with different morning and night products. Three products. That's it. 
  • A positive difference is seen in my skin.  It is a lot smoother now, very few active acne blemishes (the only ones I get now are the lovely PMS breakouts), I do not produce as much oil as I did before, face is a lot more evened out.
  • Depending on your specific price points, this system isn't as expensive as Sephora or Department Store brands, which is a plus in my eyes. 
  • A little goes a long way.
The bad:
  • This stuff is powerful.  And when I say powerful, I don't mean that in a good way necessarily.  The main ingredient in the 3-Step system is Benzol Peroxide (2.5%) as well as Sulfer (6%) in the Skin Purifying Mask.  There is also Salicylic Acid in the Complexion Perfecting Hydrator (0.5%).  
  • The smell is very chemically, so if you are sensitive to that, stay clear.
  • This stuff will completely dry out your skin, so I would not recommend these products to dry folks out there.
  • The products inside actually bleach your face so avoid getting it on your hair, eyebrows, and coloured towels (I use specific towels when using Proactiv+)
The ugly:
  • This stuff is so harsh that if not used gently you will wreck your skin.  I repeat, use this product as gently as you can.  Pretend like you're washing a baby's face, that's how gentle you have to be.  That is a warning I wish these products came with.  When I first used the products, I wasn't particularly gentle because I had been so used to using my old products that are not harsh.  The next morning, I woke up with a beat red face with tiny little bumps all over my skin.  Skin was flaking off, it was so dry, it literally looked like alligator skin (no lie). And my neck and eyelid area.... this will lead me to my next point.
  • Do not, I repeat, do not use these products on your neck and/or eyelid area.  These areas are waaaay too sensitive and thin for such harsh products.  I know from experience, my neck and eyelids were bloodshot red and burn basically.  My neck had terrible hives, etc. etc., you get the idea.
Now, with all of that being said, I am about to sound like a complete hypocrite but.... the products actually work believe it or not.  I must say though, you NEED to take your time when using the products and be very, very, VERY gentle.  If you find yourself waking up super late and need to rush out the door, skip on these products for that morning because trust me, I've been there and it is not cute.  Again, I hate to say it but they do work.  My skin is so soft now and virtually no pimples on my face minus the ones I get from eating too much garbage or if I sleep in my make-up).  My oil production is next to nothing with these products which has made me switch up my moisturizers and foundations because my skin is more dry but that doesn't bother me.
 I will say though that no matter what you're putting on your face, there are so many other factors that go into having and maintaining clear skin.  Such factors include: your sleeping pattern, eating habits, water intake, daily physical activity, etc.  All of these things go hand-in-hand with the products that you are using on your face.  

Again, these are just my thoughts and my honest review on the Proactiv+ 3-Step Set.  I'd love to know if any of you have tried any of the Proactiv+ products and how they're working out for you.  As always, it's just acne.  Try not to let it get the better of you and try your best to just keep a smile on your face.    

Click here to look at and/or purchase Proactiv+ Products!
 
Stay tuned for my next blog post and take care,
Glynn   

"When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor
."
Elon Musk

No comments:

Post a Comment